Progress

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

In the News 7/29/13

I actually like this one.  On CNN...


'Teddy bear' drops 300 pounds


You can click the title for the full article.  Basically this guy went from 530 lbs to 230 lbs with diet and exercise.  Of course, there's the little jab about him being able to avoid gastric bypass but whatever.  I actually really like this story because of this guy's approach.  

I love this part:
A year later, Mac hit 530 pounds and realized he had to try to lose weight.
"There is not an 'aha' moment," he says. "It was more like, 'OK, if I'm going to try to do this, I'm going to have to do it a little bit at a time. But I better do something before I lose my family to my untimely demise.'"
So many of us have been asked what finally pushed us to the lose the weight.  I think for many of us there isn't any real defining moment.  For whatever reason, the motivation is finally there to get it done. He also gives 3 big tips for losing weight.
Mac's weight loss tips: 
1) Identify the bad foods and habits that trip you up and cut them out one by one.
2) Follow a consistent workout schedule. Plan it and do it. 
3) Set goals for yourself and tell others about them to keep you accountable.

I agree with these completely!!!  #1 was one of the first things I did - get rid of soda and fast food.  I was doing #2 religiously before I moved.  #3...I created a blog.  I think part of my issue is that these have all gone out the window. While the article points to a blog he "keeps" and I would think may be helpful to many, he stopped updating it in 2012 so I won't be following it.  I'm hoping his national spotlight will get him to start posting again.  

So here we go:
1) Sweet tea and bread.  I'm a sucker for both.  Getting rid of these first and foremost.
2) Until surgery - every night when Hubby gets home.  After school starts, every morning.
3) Working on this...goals are tough.  I've had them...challenges, runs, courses, events.  I've got to give this one more thought.  

I started something a little new this morning.  A habit I got into was not eating anything for breakfast.  Historically this wasn't a problem but I think it's beginning to cause an issue.  This morning, I started my day with leftover steak fajitas and hummus.  Weird breakfast?  Maybe...but I'm just not big on breakfast food.
No.  That isn't a GIANT coffee cup  Just gives scale to how small the plate is.
I'm feeling motivated.  Are you?


3 comments:

Beth Ann said...

I must eat breakfast. When I'm tight like I am now, I have to be careful, but I have to eat something. It is good for you!! And fajitas are yummy any time of day in my opinion.

Jeanette said...

I eat whatever seems best for breakfast - whatever gets me a good amount of protein and works! Sometimes it's chili, sometimes it's eggs. It's weird that culture determines what are appropriate foods to eat at what times!

Amy said...

I eat whatever my band will allow. :) Doesn't matter what in the heck it is, as long as its protein baby.