Progress

Friday, July 12, 2013

Do Something About It


I'm a big believer that if you don't like something, don't bitch about it unless you're willing to do something about it.

I didn't work out yesterday.  I didn't work out because I was logged on late updating my resume and applying for a job.  It's with the same company but different group.  After I finished applying I decided to go for a bike ride to at least get some activity in.  About a mile in, the skies opened up and I got soaked.   I rode home.  I probably only rode 2 miles but with wind and rain, it felt like a work out.  Good enough.

We cannot sit back and be observers in our own lives.

You hate your job?  Do something else.

You hate your body?  Eat right.  Exercise.  Even if it's one small change at a time, you can do it.

Your family sucks?  Don't engage with them.  There is no law that says you have to love your family or deal with their array of BS.  If someone is a stressor in your life, get rid of them.  That may sound harsh but life is way too short to worry yourself about people who just aren't worth the time.  Surround yourself with positivity and that includes positive people.

You're lonely?  Join a group, a book club, a local political group.  I'm still working on this one but there's something I've figured out.  Generally, if you open yourself up, people will come to you.  People are yearning for companionship...to feel connected to other people.  Every now and then, I sit out in my driveway.  Within an hour, I've got neighbors pulling up their own chairs to visit.  Am I outgoing?  Hell no!  But it doesn't matter.  Just being there is enough for people.  People miss block parties and outdoor barbecues.  People my husband's age YEARN for those days when neighbors would gather on the weekends in the summer and just hang out while the kids ran around way past bedtime in the dark.  If you open yourself up to good things, good things will happen.  If you lock yourself away, that's a choice you're making for yourself.

Have I gotten this job?  Nope.  Have I lost the weight I've gained?  Nope.  Do I have a slew of friends to hang out with here?  Not even close.  But I'm working on it.  Are you?

And with that..a Friday Funny...



3 comments:

Dawnya said...

And that is the truth. I love it. Thanks for sharing. Good luck on the job search.

Theresa said...

Amen!

Vanessa said...

Truth! Love this post!