Progress

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Tuesday Check In

I just wanted an accountability post, so checking in:

There's my list of No's:
NO Starbucks - Check
NO carbonation (easy one but I still list it because it will always be a temptation) - Check
NO fast food - Check
NO eating lunch out during the workweek. - Check

The my list of DO's:
DO work out at least 4 times this week. - 1 down/3 to go
DO drink at least 64 oz's of water every day - Check
DO go to bed at a decent hour - Check
DO resist urges for sweet treats - Mostly Check

So yesterday, I picked up the girls from school, went home, did some 2nd grade homework and then Hubby got home and I headed to the gym.  He got home a little closer to 5:30 than he usually does so I got the gym just as the Body Works with Abs class was starting.  Now usually I research the classes a bit...what's the general fitness level, do I need my own mat, that kind of thing.  But I felt like it was kismet so I headed in.  I walked up to a complete stranger and asked her, "Excuse me.  What class is in here right now?"  
Stranger: "Body Works Plus Abs."
Me (looking around as the last class was leaving and new people started filing in):  "What do I need for it?"
Stranger: "A step, mat and 2 sets of weights."
Me: "Got it.  Thanks!"
And I walked over, got my equipment...which included a light set of weights and a heavier set.  I set up a spot near the back and waited for the class to start.  It wasn't bad.  It was mostly strength building using the weights.  I don't feel like my abs got much of a workout.  Honestly, I didn't feel like I had gotten that much of a workout at all so I did a quick quarter mile sprint after the class just to feel like I DID something.  I was thinking it was a waste of time...until I woke up this morning.  My arms and legs are sore, sore, sore!  Holy cow!  I'm not sure that it'll become part of my regular routine but it definitely worked some muscles that I hadn't been working.

So quick recap of the NSV's here:

  1. I walked up to a complete stranger and talked to her.
  2. I attended a FITNESS class that I knew nothing about ahead of time.
  3. I felt that the class didn't give me quite the workout I needed so I went for a super quick RUN right after it.
  4. I had tweaked my knee earlier in the day going up the stairs in the parking garage, decided it didn't hurt bad enough to thwart my work out efforts, so I wrapped it up and went anyway.
  5. I had a conversation with overweight coworker who walked down to my car with me and asked why I don't park on the 4th floor since I get in so early and I responded with "This way, I can take the stairs."  I didn't say "This way, I have to take the stairs" or "This way, I force myself to take the stairs."  
5 NSV's in just one day.  It's easy this far in my journey to take these little things for granted and not congratulate myself for them on a regular basis.  I think to myself, "These are things you do every day now.  Of course you should be doing this by now.  You've been on this road for 2 years now!"  But let us not forget how far we've come and what a different mindset this is from just 2 short years ago.  

How many NSV's did you have yesterday?  


10 comments:

No name said...

Those are five great NSVs!!! I've been going to my gym forever and I'm still too much of a wimp to ask about new classes, etc. :)

jennxaz said...

OMG---you are rockin it---who are you? You talked to a complete stranger...you took a class you knew nothing about....AND you ran? That is awesome---such a rockstar!

Jen said...

WOW! you are killing it girl! So proud of you and your NSVs

A.J. said...

Yay for your NOs, DOs, and NSVs!!!

Azmomo2andcounting said...

Those are some pretty big NSVs! One of these days maybe I will be brave enough to do a fitness class!

Jeanette said...

Love your NSVs and how you are staying accountable :D

RockBand Barbie said...

That's a great idea to park some where you have to take the stairs. I don't have any stairs at work, but I think I will start parking on the other side of the building so I have to walk further.

JD said...

Go team! You are ROCKING! This is a constant journey - and we need to tweak and find new ways to inspire ourselves. Sounds like you're on the right track! Hugs!

Mari said...

You are doing such an AMAZING job Manda!! Love all these NSVs and am proud of you and inspired by you!! x

Rhonda said...

I don't care how you slice it - 5 NSV's in a day is AMAZING.

I love taking the stairs now, too... it's annoying to my loved ones. lol