Progress

Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year - New Goals - New Word

So as always...a year in review...I set 7 goals for 2011.  They are as follows with updates:

  1. Run a 5k
  2. Run a 10k - After running a 5k, I decided I don't like running THAT much so I just didn't pursue this one.  So sue me.  Same with #3.
  3. Train for the PF Chang's Half marathon to be completed in January 2012 (this is my new big challenge - more to come) - Ahem, see #2
  4. Make a weekly budget (sound familiar?)
  5. Stick to said budget (since now I know where I went wrong) - Well now...this one is kind of tough.  I did MUCH better but also spent MORE.  But I spent more on things I needed to...clothes for my girls, clothes for me, etc.  All the bills got paid on time and I even have like $30 in savings so I'm calling this one a win.
  6. Try my hardest to be a better wife, mother, sister and daughter...remembering how precious this time with my family is.  Even if they don't make the effort, it doesn't give me an excuse not to.  FAIL - lost sight of this one with day to day life.
  7. Try to stick to the 80/20 rule.  (My hubby and I are both trying to eliminate processed and unnatural foods from our diets.  I think if I can do this 80% of the time, I'll be in really good shape.  More to come on this also) - I feel pretty good about this one - probably more like 60/40 but it's definitely an improvement.  We embraced primal eating but look to do so even more in the coming year.
Not great, I know.  But a couple of these were deliberate choices not to pursue, not that I didn't think I could do it so I'm alright with most of it.  I think I'm going to post 2012's goals as a permanent fixture on my blog so that they stay fresh in my mind and I don't forget what I'm supposed to be doing.  From a weight loss perspective - I was 199 on 1/1/11.  I'm 160.  That's 39 lbs gone this year.  Not too shabby...is it record breaking weight loss?  No but I'm on the downward trend and that's the important thing.  

So what are my goals for 2012?  Here we go...
  1. Run 5 5k's.
  2. Get my girls involved in one activity each and have the money to pay for it.
  3. Stealing one from 2011 - Try my hardest to be a better wife, mother, sister and daughter...remembering how precious this time with my family is. Yell less, laugh more.
  4. Be able to do 100 push ups in a row.
  5. Be able to do 100 sit ups in a row.
  6. Be able to do a pull up.  (I've never been able to do even one).
  7. Find a hobby...any hobby...even if finding a hobby IS my hobby this year.
  8. Warrior Dash.
  9. Say something nice to myself every day, whether I believe it or not.
  10. Hit GOAL - 35 lbs to go. 
So a popular idea around Blogland the last couple years has been assigning (if you will) a word to describe what that year is going to be like for you.  Forgive me for not remembering who came up with these but among them have been "believe", "moderate" and "choice".  I have not participated in past years...not for any real reason, just didn't.  But this year I am.  My word will be...
CONTENT
Adjective:  In a state of peaceful happiness
Verb: Satisfy
Synonyms: contented, pleased, satisfied, glad, happy, satisfy, gratify, indulge, suffice

OK...so why "content?"  A la Ronnie, I believe that happiness is a feeling that comes and goes, along with sadness.  One does not linger long in either.  What do I long to be?  Content...that's it.  Not one extreme or the other.  Just content with who I am, where I am and what I'm doing at that moment.  I want to be content with my job...I don't have to love it...just have to not dread it.  I want to be content with my weight...not complacent, not giving up on goals but not negative about where I may land.  I want to be content with my life...as a whole...I'm a wife, mother, sister, and friend and that should be good enough.  So what if I can't afford to go to Paris or buy my kids a bunch of new stuff all the time?  I should be content with the blessings I do have...I have my health (yay!), my hubby, my kids and my family who are great...most of the time.  

So there you have it friends.  If I can do half of what I set out to do, I think 2012 is going to shape up to be a pretty good year.  Honestly, 2011 sucked on all fronts other than weight loss.  On a personal note, it was really quite miserable.  I'm thinking 2012 has GOT to be better!  

Happy New Year everybody!  I hope 2012 is the best for you as well!

7 comments:

Leslie said...

Happy New Year!

I think the goals you have set for yourself are very reasonable. I also love your word Content, I think sometimes (at least I know I do) we get too caught up in what we don't have instead of being happy with what we do have.

Stacey said...

Great goals, very motivational! Thanks for sharing. :)

Amanda Kiska said...

Love this!

Elizabeth said...

Happy New Year!!! Love it!

Steph said...

You kicked my butt in losses for 2011. Way to go!!! You accomplished a lot, so I say you were an wonderful success and don't take anything away from yourself. Happy 2012 to you and we will be awesome this year. We just need to have faith and continue to believe in ourselves!

Anonymous said...

great goals for the year.

Andrea said...

Love it!