Progress

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Snow in May?? In AZ??

Hello all my happy bandsters in Blogland.  I've got all kinds of randomness going on today...

The Weekend:  Had a pretty good weekend all in all.  Friday's fundraiser was a flop.  Not sure how much we made but wasn't nearly what we needed so it's back to the drawing board.  All it really cost us was time so any money we made is good.  Saturday, my girls got up WAY too early in the morning and did not want to fall back to sleep so the whole family took a nice, long nap Saturday afternoon and then went to Home Depot.  Exciting stuff.  Sunday, we decided to get active and go for a hike up near Payson (about 3 hours away) and enjoy the cooler weather (even though it's not all that hot here yet) and the green foliage.  I checked the weather...I swear I did.  Weather.com said it would be 63 and partly cloudy in Payson on Sunday.  What I didn't realize is that the trail we were going to be hiking (kid friendly, 2 miles...should've been a breeze) is 30 miles north and apparently at a much higher ELEVATION than Payson.  Okay...so I've never lived in the mountains, OK?  I rarely drive through them, much less visit them so I didn't realize that while Payson is the closest city (town...seriously?  Payson is not a city), the weather doesn't exactly translate.  It was 45 freaking degrees!  So after driving for awhile on this obscure dirt road, we park on this pull-off thing and we get out of the car to change my youngest daughter's clothes because we learned that she apparently gets car sick when Mommy is driving through the mountains.  And I was FREEZING!!!!  Now, I packed long sleeves and stuff for the girls but I had nothing and their clothes certainly weren't warm enough for that wind.  But they had to get out and move around a little since they'd been in the car so long.  They loved it.  Maddie (my oldest) insisted on walking around and exploring everything.  They had a great time so it all worked out but if they catch pneumonia, it's all my fault and I'm like the worst parent ever.

Here's a picture of them all bundled up in the van - luckily I had a spare blanket in the back.

Maddie and Lori exploring.




The Johnson Girls up high on the side of the mountain.


Random News:  In other news...heard this on the radio.  Full story is here...but the gist is that an woman bit off part of some guy's ear because she heard him call her fat.  Sheesh.  Okay...should people be calling people that just to make them feel bad?  No.  Should you intentionally try to hurt someone's feelings?  Of course not.  But come on!!!  To go all Mike Tyson on the guy???  It's kind of proving the point...if someone calls you fat, threatening to eat that person by chewing off his ear isn't exactly making a great argument.  Think people!  Incidentally, the guys on the radio said it was an "overweight woman" but I have yet to find a story on the internet that states that.  Is this a valid assumption?  Is it possible she is a "normal" sized person (or even thin) who is a fatty-hater whose worst insult in the world to her is calling her fat?  Who knows?

Band News: Got a call from the surgeon's office last week.  They had looked over all my medical records and they look great - all 5 years with dates and weight are perfect.  The letter of medical necessity looked good.  So now all they need is the psych and nutritional consults (already scheduled) and the sixth month of the diet (already scheduled) and they'll be able to package it up and send it off to the insurance company.  Seems like the surgeon's office is really on top of things so I'm hoping they fax it quickly after that 6th appointment.  In turn, I hope the insurance company answers quickly but I'm not holding my breath for that one.  My husband's paperwork isn't quite complete...still waiting on his current doc to fax over medical records.  Once they're in, he should be good as well.

Kindergarten:  Maddie starts kindergarten in August so we went to the Kindergarten Orientation at her school last week.  We're choosing a public school system out of our district (just because our district sucks) and I was very impressed with facilities.  Man...school has sure changed a lot since I was a kid.  The technology alone is amazing.  We got to meet with 5 out of 6 of the kindergarten teachers so the likelihood is good that she'll have one of them.  They all seemed really motivated and genuinely concerned about the kids.  Maddie so excited to get started and was a little upset that she wouldn't be starting school the very next day.  Overall, I feel really good about our decision to send her there.  I think it'll work out really great...which makes this whole me-getting-so-old-my-daughter-is-going-to-an-honest-to-god-real-elementary-school-next-year epiphany a little easier to manage.

Other Thoughts:  There have been posts by just about everyone regarding how they see themselves when they look in the mirror.  Some say they just don't see the new skinny girl, they still see the old fat one.  Others, like Amykins, admits she had reverse body dysmorphic disorder in that she never saw herself as big as she was.  I don't have this problem.  Overall, I think I have a fairly realistic view of my body itself.  It's fat... I know this... I try not to swim in my clothes to hide it.  I know I'm not the biggest girl out there but I also know I'm not "fit."  What I never hear about is your face.  When I look in the mirror, the face I see just doesn't seem right.  There are no wrinkles (yet) so it's not an aging thing.  It just doesn't look like ME.  Does that make sense?  I'm not sure if it's because it's so puffy but when I really look at it, I don't recognize it.  I just can't figure it out.  I've never been particularly "thin" so I'm not sure if losing weight is going to make a difference.  I realize this doesn't make much sense but it's something that dawned on me over the weekend when I was washing my face.  I took a long look at myself in the mirror and thought "Really?  This is it?"  I guess I just didn't think that this is what I would look like when I grew up.  Ever happen to you?

5 comments:

Heather said...

I am with you, I totally don't see myself as I am. I have this fear that I am really huge and am constantly asking my husband if I am as big as this person, that person etc. He always says no, but he is a man so he is not to be trusted for judgement!

That last appointment... I go this afternoon. Kinda nervous, don't know why. Your girls are adorable. Kindergarten is hard to let them go to, but I am here to tell you it doesn't get any easier. I am sending my oldest to high school next year and I am terrified for him.

Bonnie said...

What a great post. Sorry about the fundraiser. It's always a bummer when you do the prep then don't get what you expect. I know the hike didn't go exactly how you planned, but I bet your girls will always remember it as an adventure. They look like they are having a blast and are too cute.

I have my last appointment on June 1st and am also hoping that the surgeon's office will submit things quickly. I have vacation the end of July and am wondering where my surgery is going to fit in. I don't want to have to worry about being on a low calorie diet on my vacation getting ready for surgery - I think I'd rather be in recovery from surgery. At any rate, we should be getting banded pretty close together. Can't wait!

Jenny said...

I have a Maddie starting kindergarten too!

The ear thing totally wigged me out.

Susan said...

Hope you get a super fast approval! I'm already coaching myself not to hover too much. I don't think my doctor's office would appreciate me helping hold the paper or anything while they send it in :).

Bonnie said...

How did the psych appt go? They didn't lock you up, did they? LOL