Progress

Friday, May 10, 2013

Prone to Injury?

I think I'm just prone to injury.  I remember having this issue early on in my weight loss journey.  It seemed every time I turned around, I was falling down, scraping knees, twisting ankles, pulling muscles.  Two weeks before the 3 day, I was battling heel pain.  I've got weak ankles.  I've got every brace they make.  At the beginning, I blamed it on hauling this extra weight around.  It was hard to be tubby and graceful at the same time.  Of course you're going to pull muscles when you haven't used them in so long.  It seemed after that first year, the injuries had subsided.  I was doing my 5k's and the warrior dash and other than the good kind of sore, there really weren't any injuries or nagging pain to speak of.  Is 6 months of inactivity enough to put me right back to square one?

I walked 3.9 miles last night.  The knee felt alright.  I wore the brace like a good girl.  Truth be told, I don't like walking in it.  It's uncomfortable and for some reason, I keep having to adjust it.  Anyway, I got home, had some ice cream (I know, I know!) and it was OK.  I woke up this morning and it hurts like hell.  WTF?  It's so frustrating to finally start moving again only to have this nagging injury or pain or whatever it is.

It doesn't hurt on the bike so maybe I should just keep riding that until the knee pain is completely gone?  I don't have a road bike though.  I have a beach cruiser which is great but it's not like I can really get after it and work up a good cardio on it.  Or do I just keep walking through the pain and strengthen that muscle?  I don't know but I'm pretty ticked about it at this point.  I hate when my body doesn't cooperate.

No big plans for the weekend.  We were going to hit up the beach this weekend but they're calling for rain so we'll see how it goes.  For all you moms out there, Happy Mother's Day!


And in honor of moms everywhere, I give you a Friday Funny...


6 comments:

Jeanette said...

I feel the same way... there is always SOMETHING going wrong (shoulder pain, ankle pain, etc)... or I'm falling on hikes and getting pretty severe cuts/bruises.

EH... guess that's the price we pay for being active people in this world!

♥ Drazil ♥ said...

Happy Mother's Day friend...you are one of the best!!

Unknown said...

I just went and saw my doctor for my sore knee and he told me that biking would be better and to incorporate that into my routine. I hope your knee starts feeling better soon! Happy Mother's Day to you!

Leigh said...

Love the cartoon! So true! Happy Mother's Day!

Run, Chelle, Run! said...

Pain is a tricky thing - it's definitely your body telling you "hey, there's an issue here!" but sometimes you need to tell your body "thanks, but shut the heck up!" I would probably stick to the bike for now and find some hills to get the cardio, and see what a little more rest does to the knee. Walking/running is such a different motion and can aggravate it for sure! Good luck!

jennxaz said...

Happy Moms day! I am a clutz so I get injuries all the time..I can trip over my feet just walking!