Progress

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Tuscany Stuffed Chicken

Not my chicken - stole from another website but it looked very similar
Down 2 more lbs this week - 23 total so very happy about that.  This recipe was a big hit in our house.  I found Fontina cheese to be a bit expensive so I substituted fresh mozzarella and it was still delish!  I'm not a big fan of peppers but it really added some nice flavor.  Also, don't be intimidated by the whole "rolling meat" thing.  Just make sure you gently pound the chicken out pretty thin and it rolls up pretty well.  Enjoy!

4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves
Black pepper
2 to 3 oz fontina cheese, crumbled or sliced
1/2 c canned roasted red sweet peppers
12 fresh sage leaves (I used ground sage)
1/4 c all purpose flour
1 tbsp olive oil
2 c dry white wine
  1. Place each chicken breast half, boned side up, between 2 pieces of plastic wrap.  Working from the center to the edges, pound lightly with flat side of meat mallet to 1/4 inch thickness. Remove from plastic wrap.  Sprinkle chicken lightly with black pepper.  Layer cheese, sweet pepper strips and sage in center of each breast.  Fold in sides; roll up into a spiral, pressing the edges to seal.  Roll in flour.
  2. In a medium nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.  Cook chicken about 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides.  Remove chicken from skillet.  Drain off any fat.
  3. In same skillet, bring wine to boiling; reduce heat.  Simmer, uncovered until 1 cup of liquid remains (about 5 minutes).  Return chicken to skillet.  Cover and simmer 7-8 minutes until done.
  4. Transfer chicken to a serving plate; cover to keep warm.  Strain remaining cooking liquid; return to skillet.  Bring to boiling; reduce heat.  Simmer, uncovered until 1/2 liquid remains.  Serve over chicken.
359 cal, 19 g total fat (4 g sat fat), 98 mg cholesterol,
196 mg sodium, 8 g carb, 38 g protein

13 comments:

Amanda said...

yum yum and more yum!!! I will try this for sure!

nikki said...

This looks delish! :) I love mostly anything with chicken and cheese. Thanks for sharing. I should share my swiss chicken recipe with you! :)

Amanda said...

amen sister!! Why on earth would you have linen and bbq sauce! HOWEVER all the sauce, lipstick, and gum came out! What didn't was all the mold and mildew. 1 trip to the cleaners and two soaks at my house! Not coming out!

Lynda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lynda said...

I do something similar with roasted peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, basil & feta. I've also used sage, provolone & proscuitto. It's a wonderfully versatile technique!

CC said...

looks yummy!

LDswims said...

Looks fantastic - I can't wait to try it!

Mary :: A Merry Life said...

Omg that looks so fantastic! I definitely am going to try it. I've made something similar with basil, sun dried tomatoes, and feta. I want to try your flavor combo now. I love stuffed chicken!

Phil said...

Damn that looks tasty manda - think i shall make it at the weekend.

2lbs down - fantastic, and i see you are almost into onederland territory....nice.

~Lisa~ said...

Mmmmmm sounds wonderful!! I printed this recipe off - can't wait to try it!!

Thank you so much for sharing!

Patrick said...

Excellent recipe share... this I can make and the family might even eat it

Ginger aka Gidget said...

Looks YUMMY!

Rachel said...

This looks great...congrats on your loss!