Progress

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Ho Hum Thursday

The big news around my house this week is that, according to the doctor's scale, my hubby has lost 100 lbs since we started this process last year!!!  He's lost 15 lbs just since surgery (liquids will do that, eh?).  According to our scale, he's lost 91 lbs but right now we're going with the doc's scale because dayyum!  That's impressive.  So so so proud of him for how hard he's worked this year and I just know the band is going to be just what he needs to help him accomplish his health goals.

There's really not much to report about me.  I'm eating...OK.  Not great...but OK.  More home cooked meals this week (VERY important).  I am absolutely convinced without a shadow of a doubt that no matter what you eat, it's a little bit better for you if it's homemade.  Take a hamburger and fries, for instance.  This is your typical fast food meal, yes?  Well, at least if I make it at home, I'm using LEAN ground beef, maybe adding a couple veggies in for good measure and using a whole wheat bun or no bun if I haven't been to the store.  The fries would most likely be baked as opposed to fried (mostly because I don't have a large deep fryer) with less salt.  I'm also convinced that they (the elusive "they") put chemicals in absolutely everything you eat to keep it "fresh" or "addictive" (especially McD's...there has got to be SOMETHING they put in those fries that make me want more).  So there you have it...my very scientific explanation as to why cooking at home but still eating like crap is STILL better than eating out.

A little product endorsement.  Bought a package of Chicken Burgers  from Sam's Club last week and tried them a couple days ago.  The kind I got is stuffed with spinach and feta cheese.  They have another kind with caramelized onion and swiss (I think).  DELISH!  If you add a little cucumber sauce or a tzatziki, it'd be even better.  I made a tomato & cucumber salad to go with it and it complimented it very well.  I think it would also be good cut up and in a salad.  My oldest daughter even liked it so it got the kids' seal of approval (which is impressive since there's spinach in it).  On top of everything else, it's all natural (none of those nasty chemicals I was talking about earlier).  Closest picture I could find...

1 NSV to report.  I took the stairs from the bottom floor yesterday at work.  4 flights with the first flight being more like 1 1/2.  I still felt like I was going to die by the time I reached the top but, But, BUT...I made it up the first 2 flights before I started feeling that way.  Getting better...

Hope everyone's having a great week.  For the rest of the summer, I have Fridays off of work. What does this mean?  It means no more Friday Funnies from me until August.  I know, I know.  Dry your tears.  Instead we'll be going with a Thursday Tickle (as in tickling your funny bone...get your head out of the gutter people!)

Have a great weekend everybody!

9 comments:

Amanda said...

I buy ground chicken all the time!If I make a meatloaf for tacos I do half lean beef and half chicken and then freeze the other half. Quite popular in my house...if I am making tacos I just go ahead and season, cook it all. Then freeze half for another BUSY day!

Congrats to your husband girl! You both are doing fantastic! Your daughters will be so proud!

Jess said...

Proud of your husband! That is frickin awesome!

That burger looks yummo!

Amanda said...

Nope. Napkins don't cause me the same stress. You can iron and clean napkins easily. Table cloths that are 120 inches round and more are a major pain in the ass!

Rachel said...

I think it is awesome how both of you are doing well...built in support group. The journey must be empowering for you both.

Linda said...

Awesome for your husband - you two are doing great. Cooking at home is always healthier than out in my opinion. I worked as a restaurant chef for many years and it's just too easy to add extra butter, oil, cheese while you're cooking on the line.
Keep up the good work!

Red Riding Hood said...

That chicken burger sounds fantastic! I wish I could find something like that here. Congratulations to your husband too!

~Lisa~ said...

WOWOW for Hubs - that is terrific!! And the chicken burgers sound yummo!! Thanks for sharing!!

I loved the thursday tickle!! Thanks for the funny!!

Nora said...

Congrats to your husband. Enjoy three day weekends... what a great way to spend the summer:)

Rhonda said...

Great job, Mr. Panda! How much does he have left to go?

And, I agree, home cooked is always better. Also, you can even substitute russet potatoes and go with sweet potatoes. Those are super yummy!