Progress

Monday, February 15, 2010

Kevin Smith vs. Southwest

Ugh!  I hate stories like these.  For anyone not paying attention (and I don't blame you...this isn't REAL news)...Kevin Smith (writer/director of Clerks, Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, Jersey Girl, etc.) was forced to leave a Southwest Airlines flight for being too big for his seat.  Article is here.  It's not so much that they made him deplane or that he's throwing a fit about it or anything about the story itself that bothers me so much.  It's the COMMENTS!  It's like a greenlight to bash on fat people.  The pure hatred stemming from people who have obviously never had a real weight problem in their entire lives is disturbing.  If you were stereotype black people, gay people, french people, jewish people or even people who are allergic to latex for God's sake, you would be ostracized for being a bigot.  People would be sending you hate mail, death threats, bombing your car because you hate a certain kind of people for just being who they are.  But insult a fat person, it's a joke...ranks right up there with "yo mama" jokes, which incidentally usually go something like "yo mama so fat..."  Argh! It just makes me absolutely livid when I read the hurtful, hateful, ignorant (albeit creative) things people think they have a right to say about over half the people in this country!  Look around you!  Obesity is everywhere and I feel really sorry for these people if they have a couple babies and get fat.  Look out!  Because the self loathing is gonna lead to a lot of problems for those people...

Okay...I'm done with my rant now.  This just really ticked me off.  And I should have known better than to read the story in the first place, but what do I know?  I'm just a lazy, dumb fat person...

4 comments:

Steph said...

Although I can disagree with the manner in which Southwest chose to handle things, I do agree completely and 100% with their policy regarding "people of size". I am one of those fat people and yes, i realize that if the seats wern't so narrow in the first place their might not be so much of a problem, but why should a skinny person have to suffer through a flight if someone's fat is spilling out over into their seat? How is that fair to them? When I fly, which is usually Airtran, I fly in business class, where the serivce is better and the seats roomier. It doesn't cost much more and I have never had a problem or felt like I was crowding someone. Yes, when stories come out like this, it brings fat bashers out of the wood work and although much of what they say is tactless and rude, much of what they say has a valid point.

That being said, people need to stop being mean and if they don't have anything nice to say, they need to keep their mouth's shut.

Girl Bandit said...

Wow...I hadn't heard about that...but fat bashing is just mean.

MandaPanda said...

Stephanie - I agree completely. My husband and I always purchase 3 seats when we fly together so as not to make others uncomfortable.

LDswims said...

They say that fat-bashing is the last "accepted" form of discrimination and harrassment and "they" are right. Sadly, I don't see that it will change. It's forgotten that fat people (I'm one of 'em) are first and foremost, PEOPLE.

I just read your blog and I'm right there with you on the supervised program. I also had to do six months and will be done in two weeks and two days (who's counting). I can't wait! I just hope to get approved. You are doing awesome. I'm envious of being able to really lose weight on this. I can't let my BMI go below 40. I'm at 40.5 right now...grrr. In two weeks, though, I can start losing all I want! YAY!!! And hopefully I will also get the band to be there when I start to slide...

And your daughters are sooo cute! I loved the pics of them, birthday, Christmas and otherwise.